Summary of Important Information
May 1: This is taxable status date (the date on which the type, use, condition and ownership of a property is determined and then valued as of the prior July 1).
The Prior July 1: This is the effective valuation date for assessment purposes; therefore, for the June 1, 2019 tentative assessment roll, the valuation date is July 1, 2018 for all improvements that exist, or did not exist, on May 1, 2019.
June 1: This is the annual tentative assessment roll filing date.
Third Tuesday in June: Grievance Day and once a year property owners can challenge their property assessment. This day is always the 3rd Tuesday in June, by law; it is not a discretionary date.
September 15: This is the statutory filing deadline for the final assessment roll.
October 16: This is the last day to file appeals against a final roll.
The 2019 Equalization Rate/RAR (synonymous with the 2019 LOA, 2019 Uniform Percent of Value), is 94.75%.
**CHANGES TO STAR: If you currently receive your STAR benefit as a reduction on your School Tax Bill (the STAR Exemption), you may receive a greater benefit if you switch to the STAR credit to received a check instead.
Resent changes in the law beginning this year:
- The value of the STAR credit may increase by as much as 2% each year, but the value of the STAR exemption will not increase.
- The income limit for the Basic STAR exemption is now $250,000.
- If your income is more than $250,000, you must switch to the STAR credit.
- If your income is $250,000 or less, you have the option to switch.
To switch to the STAR credit:
1. Notify the Assessor to withdraw from the STAR exemption.
2. REGISTER FOR STAR CHECK HERE: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/default.htm.