How a Rain Barrel Works
A rain barrel captures runoff from your roof and stores it for future activities like watering a lawn or washing a car. The rain barrel connects directly to your existing downspout. Instructions can be found in the FreeGarden Rain installation Instruction document located above.
Benefits of Using a Rain Barrel
- Saves money. Some households devote almost 40% of their summer water consumption to irrigation needs. Using stored rainwater to water your lawn or garden can reduce your household water usage, which may help save you money on your water bill.
- Improves harbor water quality. By diverting stormwater from the sewer system during rainy days, a rain barrel decreases stormwater run-off which carries pollutants from paved surfaces into groundwater and rivers.
- Keeps your plants healthy. Plants prefer non-chlorinated organic rainwater—it is one of the best ways to keep your garden or lawn healthy all summer long.
- Free car washes. Use stored rainwater to keep your car clean at no cost.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable. Capturing and using your own rainwater is an easy step towards sustainability, lowers your carbon foot print, and teaches conservation.
For more information on Rain Barrels, call the Westchester County recycling helpline at (914) 813-5425.